The TERREPOWER Sustainable Manufacturing Process for Solar Modules
TERREPOWER, a division of BBB Industries, and an industry leader in sustainable renewable energy solutions, is focused on second-life opportunities in the solar, energy storage, and electric vehicle battery space. In 2023, the TERREPOWER solar sustainable manufacturing facility became fully operational. Ontility is TERREPOWER’s brand of comprehensive solar lifecycle solutions and energy storage systems. Now, customers in the solar market are curious to know what the sustainable manufacturing process looks like from inside the facility.
Through a rigorous inspection and repair system, the facility ensures the highest quality and performance of sustainably manufactured solar modules, contributing to the reduction of waste in landfills and promoting a more sustainable approach to solar energy. The sustainable manufacturing process in TERREPOWER’s Sparta, TN facility follows a series of well-defined steps, optimizing the reliability and efficiency of each panel. These steps are meticulously carried out by engineers and mechanical specialists who are dedicated to achieving the highest standards of quality and sustainability. The process unfolds as follows:
- Inspection: Upon arrival at the Sparta facility, all modules undergo a thorough visual inspection to assess their condition. Only panels that pass the initial inspection proceed to the next stage.
- Washing: Engineers utilize an in-house, sustainably manufactured industrial module washer to clean and prepare the modules for comprehensive evaluation. This state-of-the-art washer, developed by TERREPOWER engineers, minimizes water waste by reusing and filtering the water during the cleaning process. By removing dirt and grime, the PV washer enables a deeper visual inspection and accurate testing of the panels.
- Comprehensive Visual Inspection: A meticulous visual inspection is performed on various components to ensure they meet stringent quality standards.
- Remanufacturing and Repair: Panels that exhibit any issues during the visual inspection are redirected to the appropriate line for repair. Various repairable components may include back sheets, diodes, junction box replacement, connectors and leads, and damaged frames.
- Testing: Modules that pass visual inspection or have undergone repairs are then subjected to a performance test. The resulting data is logged and tracked for each panel, ensuring traceability and monitoring of performance.
- Quality Control Serialization: All sustainably manufactured modules receive a unique quality control serialized barcode label. This label serves as an internal identifier and is paired with performance data, enabling comprehensive documentation while providing customers with valuable information.
- Packaging and Sale: Upon completion of the sustainable manufacturing process, modules are carefully re-palletized and securely strapped for sale, ensuring the safe delivery of each unit.
TERREPOWER is committed to spreading the power of sustainable manufacturing. This commitment reinforces its dedication to environmental responsibility and the circular economy. By repurposing and revitalizing solar panels, they extend their lifespan and contribute to a greener future for everyone.